THE BROADWAY WIG COMPANY
A head mold is how we begin the process of creating a custom made wig or lace front, in order to have the custom made wig fit as accurately as possible please follow these simple steps. Bear in mind that these measurements are all easier with the help of extra hands, if at all possible.
1. Clear Saran brand wrap we find to be the best because it is durable and easy to mold and contour with, but other clear plastic wraps will suffice.
2. Clear cellophane tape (regular clear scotch brand tape will do, but we find it is easier to work with something slightly wider if available)
3. A black sharpie or permanent marker.
4. A measuring tape
5. Bobby pins to secure the hair, if it has some length.
6. A wig cap (inexpensive stocking knee highs can be substituted )
7. Pen and paper to list measurements
Begin by preparing your or the clients hair. This is done in order to assure that the wig is made with a perfect fit and to get a clear outline of the personís hairline for a lace front wig. Prepping is done differently depending on the length of the personís hair.
The most common method for prepping the hair under a wig is to set the hair in pin curls as tightly as possible to the persons scalp. The pattern for this is not important providing that they are evenly distributed and as flat as possible.
One might consider that when a wig is worn, where the anchoring hairpins will go. So it is common practice to place a pin curl a bit back from the hairline above the forehead center, one at each temple and two at the nape. This is done for pinning on the wig as well as sweeping the hair away from the hairline to get a good tracing of it for a lace front wig.
If the hair is short and just needs to be contained, some bobby pins or pop clips can be used to smooth it down and away from the hairline.
important part of a wig is the hairline, for a custom made lace front wig it is
essential to get as clean a tracing of this as possible. The first piece of
plastic wrap to be placed on the head to begin wrapping is across the forehead
and wrapped back tightly to the back overlapping so it can be secured. Continue
wrapping the head until there is even coverage.
*Remember to leave the plastic wrap at the hairline smooth so that you can trace the hairline accurately.
After the entire hair area of the head is covered evenly in plastic wrap, reinforce with the tape. This is done by methodically covering all of the plastic surface with the clear cellophane tape
Taking the sharpie
or permanent marker and trace carefully along the hairline as you see it
through the plastic.
Note* Not the hairline you wish you had, or where you want the wig to be, but the hairline you have. Indicate the nape, ears and sideburns by outlining all these details. Note where the hair ends and the sideburns begin.
If you want to correct your hairline or add where it is receding then after speaking to us for further instruction; trace these areas in a red sharpie so we can discern between the two different tracings when we create your hairline.
1. Circumference of the Head - This is taken at the point where one would normally wear a hat.
2. Ear to Ear - This is taken from the top of the ear across the crown (top) of the head and down to the other ear.
3. Temple to Temple - This is taken at the lower temple over the head (like a headband) to lower temple.
4. Forehead - This is taken from temple to temple (where the hairline starts) with the tape going across the forehead.
5. Nape - This is done by holding the tape across the bottom of the hairline at the edge of the neck (where your collar might start).† Remember, this not where your hair grows to but where it starts from at your scalp.
6. Hairline to Nape - This is done by measuring from the hairline at the forehead, over the top of the crown and down onto the edge of the hairline at the nape.
Okay, at this point you might be pretty
eager to get this thing off your head. But do this carefully - shifting
things around will affect the outcome of the wig. Simply slide it off
your head in an easy firm movement. Do not worry about crushing the head
mold as you do this, they can be folded for packing and mailing.
Please note* Write your name on the head mold.
Please note* Send your head mold as well as your measurements when you place the order for your wig.
Please note* Any photographs of yourself are very helpful to us to help to create the correct shape for your face.